Should we imitate GNU test's insanity?

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Feb 10 08:49:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:46:11PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've found so many cases of autoconf failing when porting Linux apps
> over, for example scilab and musicpd due to the happiness of GNU test
> to accept a == b rather than a = b.
>
> Rather than making a bug report that'll be brushed off (as my bug
> report for GNU find was), would it be unthinkable for me to make a
> patch for our test to make == acceptable, to stop some wasted porters'
> time?
>
> Obviously our behaviour is correct [1], I just wonder if we're cutting
> off our noses so as to speak.
>
> Chris
>
> [1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/test.html

Funny that this should come up right now - just a couple of days ago, a
discussion started on the Austin Group list about extending test(1) with
some widely-used operators.  I wonder if we shouldn't wait a bit to see
how that discussion turns out :)

https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?source=L&listname=austin-group-l&id=15271

For the follow-up discussion, see:

https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_archive.tpl?listname=austin-group-l

(and of course, if anybody knows of another web-based archive for the
Austin Group list that provides an easier way to see the follow-ups,
please share a link :)

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org peter at packetscale.com
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?