Question about non-__BSD_VISIBLE guarded CLOCK_* constants

Bruce Evans brde at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 8 17:56:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Garrett Cooper wrote:

>    None of the following constants in time.h are guarded by
> __BSD_VISIBLE, __FreeBSD__, etc, even though other sections of the
> file are blocked off that way (and the comments suggest that they're
> FreeBSD-specific). I was wondering why that's the case...

It is because the other sections were written by standards-aware persons.

> #define CLOCK_UPTIME    5               /* FreeBSD-specific. */
> #define CLOCK_UPTIME_PRECISE    7       /* FreeBSD-specific. */
> #define CLOCK_UPTIME_FAST       8       /* FreeBSD-specific. */
> #define CLOCK_REALTIME_PRECISE  9       /* FreeBSD-specific. */
> #define CLOCK_REALTIME_FAST     10      /* FreeBSD-specific. */
> #define CLOCK_MONOTONIC_PRECISE 11      /* FreeBSD-specific. */
> #define CLOCK_MONOTONIC_FAST    12      /* FreeBSD-specific. */
> #define CLOCK_SECOND    13              /* FreeBSD-specific. */

Defining these without using __BSD_VISBLE is just a style bug, since the
CLOCK_ prefix is reserved in <time.h>, but FreeBSD normally ifdefs
extensions that use reserved prefixes anyway (e.g., FreeBSD-specific
signal numbers at least used to be ifdefed to a fault in <signal.h>.

The definitions themselves have lots of style bugs:
- space instead of tab after #define (all tabs were corrupted in the mail,
   except these are corrupt in the file)
- macro values don't line up, although they are indented with tabs
- comment duplicated ad nauseum
- there is now an id 14.  It is missing the comment, and seems to be
   undocumented.

>    Also, they're blocked off by #if !defined(CLOCK_REALTIME) &&
> __POSIX_VISIBLE >= 200112 , which doesn't seem to make sense, given
> that it's an "advanced realtime" feature, according to POSIX 2008.

Re-quoting everything to get more context.

% /* These macros are also in sys/time.h. */

<sys/time.h> is considerably more broken than here.  It defines all of
these macros unconditionally, and also includes <time.h> in the !_KERNEL
case.  Thus including the POSIX header <sys/time.h> gives massive namespace
pollution.

% #if !defined(CLOCK_REALTIME) && __POSIX_VISIBLE >= 200112
% #define CLOCK_REALTIME	0
% #ifdef __BSD_VISIBLE
% #define CLOCK_VIRTUAL	1
% #define CLOCK_PROF	2
% #endif
% #define CLOCK_MONOTONIC	4
/* These macros are also in sys/time.h. */
#define CLOCK_MONOTONIC	4
#define CLOCK_UPTIME	5		/* FreeBSD-specific. */
#define ...
#endif /* !defined(CLOCK_REALTIME) && __POSIX_VISIBLE >= 200112 */

The CLOCK_REALTIME part of this does nothing except partially break
automatic checking that the defines here are the same as the ones in
<sys/time.h>:
- if <sys/time.h> is not included before here, then CLOCK_REALTIME shouldn't
   be defined yet, so it has no effect in this ifdef
- if <sys/time.h> is     included before here, then CLOCK_REALTIME
   is defined now, so its effect in this ifdef is to prevent repeating ifdefs
   that should be the same.  Repeated ifdefs are a very small part of header
   bloat, so it is hardly worth avoiding them, and not avoiding them gives the
   feature of checking that they really are repeated.  I think the repetitions
   are all indentical, including their style bugs and whitespace that would
   not be checked.
- if <sys/time.h> is not included before here, but is included later, then
   CLOCK_REALTIME etc. gets declared here, and since <sys/time.h> has no
   similar ifdefs, it gets defined again later.  Thus the automatic checking
   is only partially broken.

As you noticed, the __POSIX_VISIBLE part of this has the wrong version number
at best.  CLOCK_REALTIME dates from POSIX.4 in ~1994 (it is in my POSIX.4
book published in 1995, and in the 1996 POSIX standard).  FreeBSD doesn't
try to track old versions of POSIX very carefully, except original POSIX,
but it normally makes features that appeared in in-between POSIXes visible
by default by putting them under __BSD_VISIBLE.

So the correct ifdefs here aresomething like __BSD_VISIBLE ||
POSIX_VISIBLE >= 199309 (check the latter) for the whole block, and
__BSD_VISIBLE for the sub-block consisting of FreeBSD extensions.
Since the organization is poor (historical, giving random alphabetical and
numericl order), there are actually several sub-blocks:
- CLOCK_MONOTONIC seems to be new in POSIX.1-2001.  Thus the current ifdef
   is partially correct for it.  The rest of the file has careful ifdefs for
   1993 POSIX, so perhaps it is worth being equally careful for CLOCK_REALTIME.
- the BSD extensions CLOCK_VIRTUAL and CLOCK_PROF are already in a
   __BSD_VISIBLE block.  Then there seems to be space for expansion (a
   whole 1 id = 3).  Then there is the whole 1 new id = 4 for 2001 POSIX.
   Then there is a FreeBSD-specific block (ids 5-14).  Too much bloat for me.

Bruce