Chasing down bugs with access(2)

Jaakko Heinonen jh at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 21 07:40:08 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 2010-07-20, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>     I ran into an issue last night where apparently several apps make
> faulty assumptions w.r.t. whether or not access(2) returns functional
> data when running as a superuser.

>     New implementations are discouraged from returning X_OK unless at
> least one execution permission bit is set.

See PR kern/125009 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=125009).

Here is the latest version of the vaccess*() patch which also changes
vaccess_acl_nfs4():

	http://people.freebsd.org/~jh/patches/vaccess-VEXEC.diff

The patch is not a complete fix however. Not all file systems use
vaccess*() for VEXEC in their VOP_ACCESS() (ZFS confirmed). Thus the
patch doesn't work with ZFS.

--
Jaakko