standards/116826: [patch] sh support for POSIX character classes

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Thu Apr 23 23:00:15 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR standards/116826; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jilles Tjoelker <jilles at stack.nl>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, uberlord at gentoo.org
Subject: Re: standards/116826: [patch] sh support for POSIX character
	classes
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:52:12 +0200

 The patch seems to work in brief testing.

 The code seems to be taken from dash, and an attribution/copyright
 notice seems missing.

 I put an improved patch (also including a bug fix from dash) on
 http://www.stack.nl/~jilles/unix/sh-match-charclass.patch

 Recent versions of dash can use fnmatch(3) (and also glob(3)) instead of
 the internal implementations; this is however not used by default (I
 suppose it was added to make it possible to build smaller binaries; dash
 is also obfuscated in some places to decrease binary size). It requires
 converting the CTLESC etc quoting to backslash quoting. This could be
 nice in that our fnmatch supports multibyte characters; however it does
 not support the [:alpha:] classes either.

 --
 Jilles Tjoelker