cvs commit: src/usr.bin/make main.c var.c var.h

Harti Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Tue May 10 23:40:31 PDT 2005

[CC to standards]

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Andrey Chernov wrote:

AC>On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 02:04:40PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
AC>> What about a flag/variable that if set enables "full POSIX mode"?
AC>
AC>Better environment variable with the same name like in GNU utils.

You should look up the discussion that took place in standards@ last year
or so. There have been some good arguments against using an environment
variable. It might be better to use the approach other systems like
Solaris use and put the Posix tools (together with man pages, libraries,
whatever) into their own directory (/usr/posix, for example). To be
honest, I have no idea what the best approach is. There are also others
(use a system wide or user configuration file, for example).

harti