standards/90896: not enough PTYs in the FreeBSD

Jani Karlsson jani.karlsson at iki.fi
Sun Dec 25 04:00:19 PST 2005

>Number:         90896
>Category:       standards
>Synopsis:       not enough PTYs in the FreeBSD
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Hey,

Even now FreeBSD only has default limit of 256 PTYs. That's simply not enough these days. Every modern Unix has more.. I think its finally time to put a stop this small nail that still makes the FreeBSD-feet bleed. FreeBSD cannot grow out to big systems can it now when PTYs are so darn limited?

If nothing else, please respond with info on how to fix this by myself. This is what I wish for atleast next x-mas. Merry Christmas!
>How-To-Repeat:
Compile kernel, run few screens and run out ptys.
>Fix:
I was hoping you would fix it, finally. Been waiting ever since 4.0-release.