ps command

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Oct 14 10:45:08 PDT 2004

At 9:54 PM +0530 10/14/04, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:

>I see that ps command needs a few additions to be compliant with
>IEEE 1003.1-2001 POSIX std. Please confirm if I can provide a
>patch that contains the following stuff:-
>
>-A, -e  : write information about all processes
>-d : write information about all processes except session leaders
>-f : shows command line options , change this to show the fields
>      UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
>-l : add the fields F, S
>-g : grouplist : Write information for processes whose session
>      leaders are given in grouplist. The application shall ensure
>      that the grouplist is a single argument in the form of a
>      <blank> or comma-separated list.
>-G : grouplist : Write information for processes whose real group
>      ID numbers are given in grouplist. The application shall
>      ensure that the grouplist is a single argument in the form
>      of a <blank> or comma-separated list.
>
>I'd appreciate info on who to send the patch to.

There is some extensive work done by Cyrille Lefevre, and which
was sent in as a PR.  I have incorporated some of that work, and
plan to incorporate more of it.  (although probably not in the
exact manner that Cyrille wrote it up).  I also have a few updates
of my own for `ps', that I need to clean up and commit.  I was
doing work in May and June.  In July I got bogged down with some
other matters, and I have not gotten back to `ps' since then, but
I do intend to get back to it once 5.3-release is official.

At least some of the changes are incompatible with our present `ps'
command, so we can't just throw them in and break the behavior that
FreeBSD users are used to.  For instance, `-G' is already in our
version of `ps' which is in the 5.x-branch, due to work done earlier
this year.  `-A' is also supported, but it is (deliberately) not
documented.  The *code* for `-g' is also in our source, but it is
commented out because it conflicts with the historical definition
of `-g' (which has always been supported in FreeBSD, so many people
are used to typing it).

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu