Fwd: Re: ports/52016: New port: lang/harbour-AClipper-compatible compiler

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Sat Jan 10 08:59:38 PST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:03:50 +1100 (EST), Bruce Evans <bde at zeta.org.au> said:
>
> > Hmm, POSIX.1-2001 doesn't seem to require the value to be integral,
> > except tacitly since they would not be usable in cpp expressions if
> > they were floating point.
>
> This would seem to be implicit, since sysconf() returns a long.

It's tacit at best I think.

Here is the most unclear part of POSIX.1-1990 in this area:

%%%
{_POSIX_JOB_CONTROL}  If this symbol is defined, it indicates that the
                      implementation supports job control.
{_POSIX_SAVED_IDS}    [similarly]
%%%

Note that it doesn't say that anything about a value.

The unclearness is moot for these particular constants in POSIX.1-2001,
since they are no longer optional and are required to have a value
greater than 0.

BTW, FreeBSD is perfectly non-POSIX.1-2001 conformant since it intentionally
doesn't support the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS mistake.  I hope "appropriate
privilege" can be interpreted suitably weaselly to claim support without
changing the behaviour.

Bruce