Implementing C99's roundf(), round(), and roundl()

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sat Nov 29 08:31:07 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:09:11AM -0800, David Schultz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > Can the math functions round[fl]() be implemented in
> > terms of other math(3) functions and still conform to the
> > C99 and POSIX standard?  For example,
> >
> > #include <math.h>
> >
> > float roundf(float x) {
> > 	float t;
> > 	if (x >= 0.0) {
> > 		t = ceilf(x);
> > 		if ((t - x) > 0.5) t -= 1.0;
> > 		return t;
> > 	} else {
> > 		t = ceilf(-x);
> > 		if ((t + x) > 0.5) t -= 1.0;
> > 		return -t;
> > 	}
> > }
>
> This looks correct to me at first glance, modulo possible problems
> with overflow.  It's valuable to have simple MI implementations of
> these functions to avoid hampering efforts to port FreeBSD to new
> architectures.  Faster MD versions can always be added later.  (I
> noticed the other day that Intel has actually released an
> optimized IA64 libm, which we should consider importing.)

I don't undrestand your overflow comment.  ceil[f]() can return Inf
and nan, but in those cases round[f]() should also return Inf and nan.
The two operations, (t-x) and (t+x), should yield a value in the
range [0,1).  I'll submit a PR with a man page.

As a side comment, we need to start coding the missing C99 math(3)
functions because GCC is moving to using these in their CVS
development trees.

--
Steve