sigpause not POSIX compliant?

Garrett Wollman wollman at lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jun 18 11:38:29 PDT 2003

<<On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:29:13 +0200 (CEST), "=?iso-8859-1?q?Pedro=20F.=20Giffuni?=" <giffunip at yahoo.com> said:

> sigpause appears as "obsoleted by sigsuspend" on our manpages
> but it does apear on the UNIX API list:
> http://www.unix-systems.org/version3/apis/t_8.html

It actually is an obsolete interface, it's just not marked as such.
sigsuspend() was introduced with the POSIX signal model and is a
superior interface.  Unfortunately, the merger between POSIX and SUS
resulted in some of the old (and in some cases broken) SUS interfaces
being introduced into POSIX for the first time (having been rightly
rejected by SSWG in previous rounds).

Our sigpause() does something completely different (hardly
unsurprising), and expects an old 4.2-style signal mask rather than a
single signal number.

-GAWollman