buildworld broken after installworld

Andrey Chernov ache at nagual.pp.ru
Mon Aug 4 14:44:49 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 23:32:19 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> I think we've now reached the agreement with Andrey that
> a more correct, safe, and portable [sic] construct would
> be "LC_ALL=C tr [:lower:] [:upper:]".  It works the same
> in any non-broken operating system and with any locale.

We need to say, construct for what? If for lower->upper replacing inside
ASCII only, "LC_ALL=C tr [a-z] [A-Z]" is most portable because some tr
implementations even not understand [:class:] but some other have SysV-ism
to specify ranges in the [], against what POSIX says. But I think that
"LC_ALL=C tr a-z A-Z" is better middle point here because not teach user
to incorrect syntax from the scripts.