possibly silly question regarding freebsd-update

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Tue Mar 30 15:01:24 UTC 2021

On 3/30/2021 10:40, tech-lists wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 09:14:56AM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>> Like the patch referenced in the SA.
>> https://security.FreeBSD.org/patches/SA-21:07/openssl-12.patch
>>
>> Again, it seems like confusion over what happens in RELEASE, STABLE
>> and CURRENT..
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. In
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-security/2021-March/010380.html
>
> it says
>
>> 1) To update your vulnerable system via a binary patch:
>
>> Systems running a RELEASE version of FreeBSD on the i386 or amd64
>> platforms can be updated via the freebsd-update(8) utility:
>
>> # freebsd-update fetch
>> # freebsd-update install
>> # <restart any daemons that use the library>
>
> which I did. If openssl updated, would it not be logical to expect
> openssl version information to indicate it had in fact been updated?
>
> If not, then how am I able to tell that it has updated? On an
> un-upgraded 12.2-p4 system *and* on an upgraded one, openssl version
> reports 1.1.1h-freebsd

It is not updating; as I noted it appears this security patch was NOT
backported and thus 12.2-RELEASE does not "see" it.

You cannot go to "-STABLE" via freebsd-update; to run -STABLE you must
be doing buildworld/buildkernel from source.  I can confirm that
12.2-STABLE *does* have the patch as I checked it recently.

 From a system I cross-build for an updated yesterday:

$ uname -v
FreeBSD 12.2-STABLE stable/12-n232909-4fd5354e85e KSD-SMP
$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.1k-freebsd  25 Mar 2021

--
Karl Denninger