Request: Mount zfs encrypted datasets at boot? Re: FreeBSD 13.0-RC2 Now Available

Ruben van Staveren ruben at verweg.com
Sat Mar 20 13:24:22 UTC 2021

Hi,

> On 13 Mar 2021, at 1:11, Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> The second RC build of the 13.0-RELEASE release cycle is now available.

Might it be interesting to change the

zfs mount -a / zfs unmount -a

in /etc/rc.d/zfs to

zfs mount -al / zfs unmount -au

so that filesystems using the openzfs encryption feature can be automatically mounted?

given their keylocation is not “prompt" and accessible during boot.

This would make it possible for me to move away from my current dual pool boot setup, in where the boot pool has the geli keys for my geli encrypted system pool, which seems to be incompatible with beadm/bectl handling of things these days…
The single geli encrypted pool does not work for me as it doesn’t allow for unattended reboots.

Best regards,
    Ruben