freebsd-update not removing old libraries

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 18:57:21 UTC 2021

There seems to be a bug in freebsd-update on 11.x and 12.x systems where
it's not removing old library files in the final "freebsd-update install"
run.

System 1:
10.2 upgrade to 11.2.  /lib/libreadline.so.8 is left behind, which breaks
bash pkg.
11.2 upgrade to 11.4. /lib/libreadline.so.8 is left behind, which breaks
bash pkg.
11.4 upgrade to 12.2. /lib/libreadline.so.8 is left behind, which breaks
bash pkg.

System 2:
11.2 upgrade to 12.2.  /lib/libreadline.so.8 doesn't exist, no issues with
any packages.  This one has the source tree installed as I needed it to
compile the openzfs port, and I manually ran "make delete-old" and "make
delete-old-libs" on this one.

System 3:
11.x upgrade to 12.2. /lib/libreadline.so.8 left behind, which breaks bash
pkg.

I don't remember which specific minor version of 11 was installed on system
3, but it was most likely 11.2.

No source tree is installed on any of the broken systems (1 and 3).  They
are strictly binary upgrades/pkg installs.

How would one go about running the equivalent of "make delete-old" and
"make delete-old-libs" on these systems, when "freebsd-update install"
after a "pkg upgrade -f" doesn't do anything?  I'd prefer to keep the
source tree off these, but if I have to install it temporarily to run
delete-old/delete-old-libs, then so be it.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com