Suspend/resume (to/from RAM), kern.vty, and x11/nvidia-driver

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Mar 4 01:02:26 UTC 2021

I have a couple of Dell laptops -- an older (Precision M4800) and
a newer (Precision 7520) on which I've been tracking FreeBSD
stable/12, head, and (lately) stable/13 (with a daily cadence).  I
also update installed ports on each every day.  Each uses
x11/nvidia-driver for graphics.

Each runs FreeBSD itself ... well.  And I recently found out that the
mouse/touchpad on the 7520 now works under head and stable/13 (by
I2C).  (I tried the sysutils/iichid port under stable/12, but have not
been able to get the mouse to work yet under stable/12.)

And suspend/resume works... under stable/12, where I have been using
kern.vty="sc" (in /boot/loader.conf).  (I recall having tried letting
kern.vty default to "vt" -- that seems to cause resume to fail: the
screen never lights up again, nor can I ssh into the laptop.  Yes, I
configured the laptops to be able to ssh into them for various reasons
-- such as testing suspend/resume.)

In order to test some recent (vbe-related) loader changes, however, I
needed to change kern.vty back to the default value of "vt" -- and that
appears to cause resume to fail (still).

How may I help figure out what's wrong?  The newer (7520) laptop, in
particular, is idle most of the day, so experimenting with it should be
OK.

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill                              david at catwhisker.org
It is supremely disingenuous to claim a lack of jurisdiction, then
proceed to participate in a decision on the same matter.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.