Any way to get hsm(4) device under stable/12?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Feb 28 18:12:10 UTC 2021

I have been using a laptop that is old enough to have a fair number of
its components replaced with parts taken from others (mostly of the
same model) -- a Dell Precision M4800.  And it works well.. but single
points of failure do not bring me comfort. :-}

I acquired a refurbished Dell Precision 7520 a while back; it runs
FreeBSD just fine, but I was unable to get the built-in touchpad to work
until this morning.

It turns out that the 7520's touchpad communicates via I2C.

I had tried installing the sysutils/iichid port; that seemed to be a bit
of progress, as after doing that, and appending:

hw.usb.usbhid.enable=1
iichid_load="YES"

to /boot/loader.conf, utilities such as libinput(1) and xinput(1) each
reported "something" was there that had not been there before, and dmesg
mentioned an "hsm0" device (though that didn't show up in /dev).  But
neither the touchpad nor the buttons actually worked.

During my daily update cycle this morning, I was thus quite pleased to
note that the mouse was seemed to be working (in X11, anyway) under
stable/13 and head (where iichid is part of base).

Comparing the kernel modules loaded between stable/12 and stable/13, I
see that the latter also includes hms.ko, hidmap.ko, and hkbd.ko.  And
stable/13 (as well as head) have src/sys/dev/hid/*, which stable/12 does
not.  (That directory is where (e.g.) hms.c resides.)

So: iichid is part of base in stable/13 and head, but available as a
port for stable/12.

Various devices under src/sys/dev/hid are available in base under
stable/13 and head; are they available in some way under stable/12?

(Yes, I plan to migrate from stable/12 to stable/13 "soon" -- but not
quite yet.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill                              david at catwhisker.org
It is supremely disingenuous to claim a lack of jurisdiction, then
proceed to participate in a decision on the same matter.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.