lots of "no such file or directory" errors in zfs filesystem

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Tue Feb 23 22:43:19 UTC 2021

On 2021-Feb-23 11:30:58 -0600, Chris Anderson <cva at pobox.com> wrote:
>nope, it led a pretty boring life. that zfs filesystem was created on that
>server and has been on the same two mirrored disks for its lifetime.

Does the server have ECC RAM?  Possibly it's a bitflip somewhere before
the data got to disk.

>prior to the upgrades) the server does have a relatively modest amount of
>ram (2GB). dunno if that makes it more likely that these kinds of issues
>get triggered.

Low amounts of RAM are going to increase the IO load but shouldn't
otherwise impact the filesystem consistency.  I have a FreeBSD test
system that's running ZFS in <1GB RAM and rebuilding itself daily for
multiple years and haven't run into any ZFS corruption issues.

--
Peter Jeremy