FreeBSD 13/stable and zpool upgrade

David Marec david.marec at lapinbilly.eu
Fri Feb 19 20:41:25 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 19/02/2021 19:24, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

 > I suspect that your 'zpool upgrade' enabled things that weren't enabled
 > before. This caused the old boot blocks to no longer work.

Correct. That' s definitely the source of the booting issue.

 > We should be better about upgrading boot blocks, but EFI is kinda new and
 > kinda different

EFI is able to boot any FreeBSD box for a while.

The main issue is that the legacy way to upgrade these /bootcode and
partcode/ not only does not work, but do bad things.

# gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1  ada0s1

will install an old and inappropriate /partcode/.

IMO,
'gptzfsboot' should be sweep off  along with 'boot1.efifat' ( by calling
'make delete-old') or be built with the right 'BOOTx64.EFI', which
actually is`/boot/loader.efi` .

--

David Marec
http://wiki.fug-fr.org/doku.php?id=start