FreeBSD 13/stable and zpool upgrade

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Feb 19 21:46:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Kurt Jaeger <pi at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > You can upgrade to 13 w/o hassle. The upgrade process doesn't
> automatically
> > upgrade the zpools. The only problem is if you also do a 'zpool upgrade'
> > which will change your zpool features. The fix is easy: upgrade your boot
> > loader (bootx64.efi) on the ESP at the same time before rebooting...
>
> In the past there was this nice warning explaining what to do:
>
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0

Yea, pmbr and gptboot are now effectively built into the EFI boot loader...

> Now, what would be the new procedure for that ?

mount -t msdos /dev/ada0sX /mnt
cp /boot/loader.efi /mnt/boot/bootx64.efi
umount /mnt

> > There's nothing really to fix here.
>
> Well, it's very dangerous, and having a way to know how to fix
> it would be very important.

You also need to know what you are doing when you upgrade your zfs pools.

This should be called out prominently in the release notes, howeve.

> > All the code is there. It all works.
> > The upgrade is fail safe up until the point you do the zpool upgrade,
> which
> > has to be done by the system administrator. It's not done in the
> installer
> > or as part of 'make installworld'.
>
> I understand. But if the installer does not know that she/he needs to
> do something with some bootx64.efi file... ?
>
> Can't zpool upgrade mention the necessary steps, as it did before ?

I wasn't aware it lost that in the openzfs upgrade... What did it used to
say?

Warner