where to upgrade 12-stable now, svn still, or git?

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 06:33:37 UTC 2021

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net wrote on
Sat Feb 13 04:11:46 UTC 2021 :

>  Basically I'm asking "which is the source for truth now".

The official answer for 12 as I understand it: git,
where the commits are initially made before they are
converted into svn. (Thus svn is time delayed.)

But that is complicated because the official builds
for releng, release, and even snapshots, are still
based on svn (not git) for 12 and still use rDDDDDD
numbering from svn and will be for the life of 12
(and 11).

(There is no svn branch for 13 and later.)

So, tracking relationships to official builds is easier
from the svn side of things and it also provides pointers
back to git.

To me that makes answers to "which is the source for
truth now" problematical: it would be hard to avoid
mixing the criteria from what I can tell.

(But, I'm unlikely to deal with before 13 and so likely
will be able to avoid the issue myself.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went