stable/13 and zfs <> openzfs

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Tue Feb 9 22:28:35 UTC 2021

Hi,

I need to build a new zpool (arch=amd64). The machine needs upgrading
from stable/12 to stable/13. The process I envisaged following is:

1. backup all data to a non-zpool disk
2. upgrade the OS stable/12 to stable/13
3. destroy the original zpool [1]
4. build new zpool and restore data

stable/13 seems to have openzfs as the default zfs. Is there anything
more I need do? [2] The system is havdling remote zfs receive from a
12.2-p3 system that uses the earlier default FreeBSD zfs. [3]

[1] the original zpool was going to be destroyed anyway due to wrong
ashift for these new disks.

[2] like, does /etc/rc.conf need modifying? Things like that.

[3] is the newer openzfs compatible with the older one? I mean will the
older one still be able to send zfs snapshots for backup, or does
something need to be changed at either end?

thanks,
--
J.