pkgbase: Missing /etc/master.passwd in FreeBSD-runtime 12-stable pkg

Tue Feb 2 19:36:16 UTC 2021

>>> I noticed that my jails, build from a recent pkg base don't start:
>>> Starting jails: cannot start jail  "j6":
>>> 7
>>> jail: j6: getpwnam root: No such file or directory
>>> jail: j6: /bin/sh /etc/rc: failed
>>> .
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> Just a thought, did you run
>>
>> make distribution DESTDIR=<path-to-jail>
>
> This shouldn't be necessary with pkgbase, but I haven't looked at
> pkgbase in 12 on a long time -- it sounds like we managed to regress
> it somewhere.

The last step in my weekly system rebuild is "make packages" to create a pkgbase
repository from the newly build system. The last build, i could use to create
jails is r368786M, with "stable/12-c58-g53bc32215" the jails are broken.
I didn't check since which commit the error occurs. Reading the commit logs
doesn't show anything obvious to me.

Should pkgbase be operational in stable/12? If the consensus is no, i just skip
it and concentrate on 13. Will pkgbase be a supported (and working) feature on 13?

--
Martin