Panic: 12.2 fails to use VIMAGE jails

Peter pmc at citylink.dinoex.sub.org
Mon Dec 7 23:45:24 UTC 2020

Hi Kristof,
  it's great to read You!

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 09:11:32PM +0100, Kristof Provost wrote:

! That smells a lot like the epair/vnet issues in bugs 238870, 234985, 244703,
! 250870.

epair? No. It is purely Netgraph here.

! I pushed a fix for that in CURRENT in r368237. It’s scheduled to go into
! stable/12 sometime next week, but it’d be good to know that it fixes your
! problem too before I merge it.
! In other words: can you test a recent CURRENT? It’s likely fixed there, and
! if it’s not I may be able to fix it quickly.

Oh my Gods. No offense meant, but this is not really a good time
for that. This is the most horrible upgrade I experienced in 25 years
FreeBSD (and it was prepared, 12.2 did run fine on the other machine).

I have issue with mem config
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/fun-with-upgrading-sysctl-unknown-oid-vm-pageout_wakeup_thresh.77955/
I have issue with damaged filesystem, for no apparent reason
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/no-longer-fun-with-upgrading-file-offline.77959/

Then I have this issue here which is now gladly workarounded
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/panic-12-2-does-not-work-with-jails.77962/post-486365

and when I then dare to have a look at my applications, they look like
sheer horror, segfaults all over, and I don't even know where to begin
with these.

Other option: can you make this fix so that I can patch it into 12.2
source and just redeploy?

I tried to apply the changes from r368237 into my 12.2 source, that
seemed to be quite obvious, but it doesn't work; jails fail to remove
entirely:

# service jail stop rail
Stopping jails: rail.
# jexec rail
jexec: jail "rail" not found

-> it works once.

# service jail start rail
Starting jails: rail.
# service jail stop rail
Stopping jails: rail.
# jexec rail
root at rail:/ # ps ax
ps: empty file: Invalid argument

-> And here it doesn't work anymore, and leaves a skull of a jail
   one cannot get rid of.

Cheerio,
PMc