external USB drive on nas.naund.org

Andreas Ott andreas at naund.org
Tue Aug 25 23:39:43 UTC 2020

Hello,

the external USB drive recently stopped being recognized at all by this server.

FreeBSD files.local 11.4-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Aug  4 19:21:02 UTC 2020     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

This setup has worked for over 2 years, unfortunately I cannot tell to
which date, or to which update it correlates to.  This server is updated
with freebsd-update and pkg (binary packages only), typically a few days
after any security advisory comes out.

Currently nothing happens when I attach or remove the drive from tany USB port
of the Supermicor X8SIL motherboard. No BIOS changes were made in over a year.
At this time, neither dmesg, usbconfig devlist nor camcontrol show the disk.
I tried rollback from 11.3-RELEASE-p12 to 11.3-RELEASE-p11 and that did not work
either, before upgrading all the way to 11.4-RELEASE-p2.

What debugging should I try next?

The disk is recognized OK on a CentOS 7 server with similar hardware and on my
MacbookPro.

I do have an older dmesg excerpt from when it had kernel 11.3-RELEASE-p11 and it
still worked:

ugen1.3: <JMicron JMS579> at usbus1
umass0 on uhub2
umass0: <JMicron JMS579, class 0/0, rev 2.10/32.02, addr 3> on usbus1
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x8100
umass0:4:0: Attached to scbus4
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus4 target 0 lun 0
da0: <INTEL SS DSC2BA012T4 3202> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device
da0: Serial Number 24865351072710207E
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 1144641MB (2344225968 512 byte sectors)
da0: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>

Thanks, andreas
Andreas Ott   andreas at naund.org