support of PCIe NVME drives

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Apr 17 06:41:53 UTC 2020

Miroslav Lachman wrote on 04/17/2020 08:17:

>>> Looking at server specs, the R6515's NVME support is only through the
>>> PERC S150 RAID controller.  If that's the case, I'm pretty sure
>>> you're out of luck.  The PERC S-series controllers are software-based
>>> RAID that require Dell's Windows or Linux drivers.  You'd need a PERC
>>> H-series card to get support in FreeBSD.
>
> That's something I didn't expect at all. So there is nothing which can
> be fixed on FreeBSD side? :(
>
>>> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?
>> As I mentioned. I was suspicious of this. He should be able to flash
>> the card,
>> making it a pass. I do a lot of them. If someone doesn't beat me to
>> it. I'll
>> dig through what I have, and see if I can't find the right image(s),
>> and program(s).
>
> This is rented dedicated machine. I cannot flash anything on it.
>
> I can ask the provider if they can install some card. Do you have some
> recommendation? What is supported by Dell and FreeBSD for ZFS?
>
> I really appreciate your help!

I tried to find info about controller in the iDRAC. I walk through the
System / Inventory / Hardware Inventory and found nothing about S130

I found this informations

PCIe SSD in Slot 1 in Bay 1
Bus:   82
BusProtocol:  PCIE
Device:  0
DeviceDescription:  PCIe SSD in Slot 1 in Bay 1
DeviceProtocol:  NVMe-MI1.0
DeviceType:  PCIeSSD
DriveFormFactor:  2.5 inch
FailurePredicted:  NO
FQDD:  Disk.Bay.1:Enclosure.Internal.0-1
FreeSizeInBytes:  Information Not Available
Function:  0
HotSpareStatus:  Information Not Available
InstanceID:  Disk.Bay.1:Enclosure.Internal.0-1
Manufacturer:  INTEL
MaximumCapableSpeed:  8 GT/s
MediaType:  Solid State Drive
Model:  Dell Express Flash NVMe P4510 1TB SFF
NegotiatedSpeed:  8 GT/s
PCIeCapableLinkWidth:  x4
PCIeNegotiatedLinkWidth:  x4
PrimaryStatus:  Ok
ProductID:  a54
RaidStatus:  Information Not Available
RAIDType:  Unknown
RemainingRatedWriteEndurance:  100 %
Revision:  VDV1DP23
SerialNumber:  PHLJxxxxxxWF1PxxxxN
SizeInBytes:  1000204886016
Slot:  1
State:  Ready
SystemEraseCapability:  CryptographicErasePD

PCIe SSD in Slot 1 in Bay 1 - PCI Device
BusNumber:  130
DataBusWidth:  4x or x4
DeviceDescription:  PCIe SSD in Slot 1 in Bay 1
DeviceNumber:  0
DeviceType:  PCIDevice
FQDD:  Disk.Bay.1:Enclosure.Internal.0-1
FunctionNumber:  0
InstanceID:  Disk.Bay.1:Enclosure.Internal.0-1
LastSystemInventoryTime:  2020-04-17T03:21:39
LastUpdateTime:  2020-03-31T13:55:06
Manufacturer:  Intel Corporation
PCIDeviceID:  0A54
PCISubDeviceID:  2003
PCISubVendorID:  1028
PCIVendorID:  8086
SlotLength:  2.5 Inch Drive Form Factor
SlotType:  PCI Express Gen 3 SFF-8639

When I go in to menu Configuration / Controllers there is empty list.
Is this expected in case of S130?

I would really like to fulfil the client needs and run FreeBSD on it.
But These R6515 are too new too me. The last PowerEdge I have in hand
was R610 / T20. Both working fine with FreeBSD.

Miroslav Lachman