PCI express hotplug in FreeBSD11.2 VM

Bennett, Ciunas ciunas.bennett at intel.com
Thu May 23 10:05:32 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am working on a driver for a PCI express device.
And have been trying to get hotplug feature working on a FreeBSD 11.2 VM using both PFs and VFs. (host is Fedora 26)
But I am having many issues in relation to this.

I am encountering issues with both scenarios,

For PF ->

1.      Create a VM with FreeBSD11.2

2.      Attach 1PF to the guest

  1.  Issue 'devctl rescan pci0' - Scans the PCI bus and the device becomes visible in the guest.

4.      Install driver, at some point of loading the driver/bringing up the pci device

-- Error = kernel panics and reboots. --

FOR VF ->

1.      Create a VM with FreeBSD11.2

  1.  Attach 1VF to the guest
  2.  Issue 'devctl rescan pci0' - Scans the PCI bus and the device becomes visible in the guest.
  3.  Detach the device from the guest.
  4.  Issue 'devctl rescan pci0'
-- Error = Expecting VF should be removed from the guest but it is not --
Is the support in FreeBSD at a stage where we should not be using hotplug feature?
Could someone give me a better idea of the support that is in FreeBSD for hotplug.
The documentation is very limited.
Thank you.

Ciunas Bennett
Dromore House,
East Park, Shannon,
Co. Clare,
V14 AN23,
Ireland

[Untitled]

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263

use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution by others is
sender and delete all copies.