FreeBSD flood of 8 breakage announcements in 3 mins.

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed May 15 16:34:32 UTC 2019

Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!

> > > The problem is not the announcement, the problem is providing
> > > the freebsd-update.
>
> > > If announcements are send when ready, and the freebsd-update is
> > > not ready, therefore, the timeframes to attack systems with unpatched
> > > problems are much longer.
>
> > True as far as that goes for binary users, but often source patches
> > are available faster, which begs the question: when to announce ?
> > When there's diffs ? When diffs are commited to src/ (used to be the norm *) ?
> > When there's some binary update ?
> > Whne a whole bunch of 8 arrive in 3 minutes ? Gasp !
>
> Now I understand why you bring this up.
>
> I guess the majority of users are using the binary update path.

Hmm, a distinct possibility, that could be a problem delaying announcements.

> Maybe re@ can explain how the process is for these steps ?

I assumed re@ (periodicaly overworked team who presumably collapse
in appreciated exhaustion after valuable work rolling releases),
were [largely] different people?

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Consultant Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich Aachen Kent
 http://stolenvotes.uk  Brexit ref. stole votes from 700,000 Brits in EU.