ZFS...

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Fri May 10 03:55:15 UTC 2019

Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/
Sent from my iPad

> On 09 May 2019, at 21:27, Bob Bishop <rb at gid.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 9 May 2019, at 12:17, Michelle Sullivan <michelle at sorbs.net> wrote:
>>

>> Michelle Sullivan
>> http://www.mhix.org/
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On 09 May 2019, at 17:46, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen at punkt.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,

>>> 16 disks in *one* RAIDZ2 vdev? That might be the cause of your insanely
>>> long scrubs. In general it is not recommended though I cannot find the
>>> source for that information quickly just now.
>>
>> I have seen posts on various lists stating don’t go over 8..  I know people in Oracle, the word is it should matter...  who do you believe?
>
> Inter alia it depends on the quality/bandwidth of disk controllers.

Interestingly, just got windows 7 installed on a usb stick with the windows based zfs recovery tool...  now scrubs and resilvers report around 70MB/s on all versions of FreeBSD I have tried (9.3 thru 13-CURRENT), indeed even on my own version with the Broadcom native SAS driver replacing the FreeBSD one...

Results are immediately different..  it *says* it’s using 1.6/1.7 cores, ~2G Ram and getting a solid 384MBps (yes B not b) with 100% disk io....  that’s a massive difference.

This is using the windows 7 (sp1) built in driver...  I can only guess that has to be pci bus handling differences or the throughput report is wrong.

(Note “solid” it is fluctuating between 381 and 386, but 97% (ish - Ie a guess) of the time at 384)