ZFS...

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Wed May 1 16:16:19 UTC 2019

Your story is so unusual I am wondering if its not fiction, I mean all
sorts of power cuts where it just so happens the UPS fails every time,
then you decide to ship a server halfway round the world, and on top
of that you get a way above average rate of hard drive failures.  But
aside from all this you managed to recover multiple times.

ZFS is never claimed to be a get out of jail free card, but it did
survive in your case multiple times, I suggest tho if you value
redundancy, do not use RAIDZ but use Mirror instead.  I dont know why
people keep persisting with raid 5/6 now days with drives as large as
they are.

I have used ZFS since the days of FreeBSD 8.x and its resilience
compared to the likes of ext is astounding and especially compared to
UFS.

Before marking it down think how would UFS or ext have managed the
scenarios you presented in your blog.

Also think about where you hosting your data with all your power
failures and the UPS equipment you utilise as well.