Issues starting unbound on boot

Markus Wipp mw at wipp.bayern
Wed May 1 08:09:40 UTC 2019

> On 1. May 2019, at 00:02, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-Apr-30 19:44:36 +0000, Markus Wipp <m.wipp at BlueBird-AG.com> wrote:
>> I currently face an issue, where I don’t know further on why this happens and what I could do about it.
>> I hope that this is the correct list to ask my question. If not please let me know where else I might try my luck.
>> I installed unbound from ports, configured it and can start / stop it from command line with service unbound start without any problems.
>> But whenever I reboot the machine it just doesn’t get started. The only information I was able to find out so far can be found in /var/log/messages:
>> root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start unbound
>
> I have seen unbound fail to start for a variety of reasons but in all cases, it has
> written a useful hint to the console.  Can you confirm that it's not writing anything
> to your console.  Are you able to share your configuration?
>
> --
> Peter Jeremy
Hi Peter,

many thanks to you! By looking at the console output I was able to determine that the interface/up I bound unbound to was not yet available during the boot process (it was tun0 for my VPN). After finding this cause it was just a matter of ensuring tun0 gets created and configured as cloned interface.
So now everything works as it should!

Thanks again to all!

Have a nice day!
Markus