ZFS...

Walter Parker walterp at gmail.com
Wed May 1 04:16:30 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 8:19 PM Michelle Sullivan <michelle at sorbs.net>
wrote:

> Michelle Sullivan
> http://www.mhix.org/
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On 01 May 2019, at 12:37, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/30/2019 20:59, Michelle Sullivan wrote

> >> Ahh yes the be all and end all of ZFS.. stops the silent corruption of
> data.. but don’t install it on anything unless it’s server grade with
> backups and ECC RAM, but it’s good on laptops because it protects you from
> silent corruption of your data when 10 years later the backups have
> long-since been recycled...  umm is that not a circular argument?

ZFS works fine on systems with ECC. According to one of the original Sun
authors of ZFS, the scrub of death is a myth. A non-ECC running ZFS is not
more risky than one running UFS.

As far as backups go, you should have backups for your important data. This
is true for any filesystem. Home users have been using backups for decades.
For anybody that has important data, not having a backup is a false
economy. Odds are that most people you don't have backup can afford them if
they plan and allocate money for this task (as 8TB USB drives are now at
Costco for ~$140, getting one of.should not be much of an issue). Tarsnap
is great and cheap online backup system.

Silent data corruption is a thing. CERN tested it 10-15 years on brand new,
high end production hardware. They run a test running on 3000 new servers
run for 1 week. They found 147 silent data corruption errors on the server
farm (found due to ZFS error checking).

> >> Don’t get me wrong here.. and I know you (and some others are) zfs in
> the DC with 10s of thousands in redundant servers and/or backups to keep
> your critical data corruption free = good thing.
> >>
> >> ZFS on everything is what some say (because it prevents silent
> corruption) but then you have default policies to install it everywhere ..
> including hardware not equipped to function safely with it (in your own
> arguments) and yet it’s still good because it will still prevent silent
> corruption even though it relies on hardware that you can trust...  umm say
> what?

I run ZFS on embedded firewalls, it has worked fine for years. ZFS by
default is a good idea on systems that ZFS built in (such as FreeBSD and
SmartOS). There are great things you do with boot environments  and volume
management is much nicer. Don't let the blowhards that say ZFS should only
be run on server grade (ie ECC) hardware spook you. It works as well as UFS
would on any system with at least 1GB of RAM (but I'd suggest getting at
least 2GB if you can't get 4GB), you just need to adjust a few memory
parameters.

> [...]
> > With non-ZFS filesystems quite a lot of thought and care has to go into
> > defending against that, and said defense usually requires the active
> > cooperation of whatever software wrote said file in the first place
>
> Say what?
>
> > (e.g. a database, etc.)
>
> So dbs (any?) talk actively to the file systems (any?) to actively prevent
> silent corruption?
>
> Lol...
>
> I’m guessing you are actually talking about internal checks and balances
> of data in the DB to ensure that dat retrieved from disk is not
> corrupt/altered...  you know like writing sha256 checksums of files you
> might download from the internet to ensure you got what you asked for and
> it wasn’t changed/altered in transit.
>
> >   If said software has no tools to "walk" said
> > data or if it's impractical to have it do so you're at severe risk of
> > being hosed.
>
> Umm what?  I’m talking about a userland (libzfs) tool (Ie doesn’t need the
> pool imported) such as zfs send (which requires the pool to be imported -
> hence me not calling it a userland tool) to allow a sending of data that
> can be found to other places where it can be either blindly recovered
> (corruption might be present) or can be used to locate files/paths etc that
> are known to be good (checksums match etc).. walk the structures, feed the
> data elsewhere where it can be examined/recovered... don’t alter it....
> it’s a last resort tool when you don’t have working backups..
>
> >   Prior to ZFS there really wasn't any comprehensive defense
> > against this sort of event.  There are a whole host of applications that
> > manipulate data that are absolutely reliant on that sort of thing not
> > happening (e.g. anything using a btree data structure) and recovery if
> > it *does* happen is a five-alarm nightmare if it's possible at all.  In
> > the worst-case scenario you don't detect the corruption and the data
> > that has the pointer to it that gets corrupted is overwritten and
> > destroyed.
> >
> > A ZFS scrub on a volume that has no redundancy cannot *fix* that
> > corruption but it can and will detect it.
>
> So you’re advocating restore from backup for every corruption ... ok...
>

> >   This puts a boundary on the
> > backups that I must keep in order to *not* have that happen.  This is of
> > very high value to me and is why, even on systems without ECC memory and
> > without redundant disks, provided there is enough RAM to make it
> > reasonable (e.g. not on embedded systems I do development on with are
> > severely RAM-constrained) I run ZFS.
> >
> > BTW if you've never had a UFS volume unlink all the blocks within a file
> > on an fsck and then recover them back into the free list after a crash
> > you're a rare bird indeed.  If you think a corrupt ZFS volume is fun try
> > to get your data back from said file after that happens.
>
> Been there done that though with ext2 rather than UFS..  still got all my
> data back... even though it was a nightmare..

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis