ZFS...

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Wed May 1 02:26:21 UTC 2019

Xin LI wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 5:08 PM Michelle Sullivan <michelle at sorbs.net
> <mailto:michelle at sorbs.net>> wrote:
>
>     but in my recent experience 2 issues colliding at the same time
>     results in disaster
>

> Do we know exactly what kind of corruption happen to your pool?  If
> you see it twice in a row, it might suggest a software bug that should
> be investigated.

Oh I did spot one interesting bug... though it is benign...

Check out the following (note the difference between 'zpool status' and
'zpool status -v'):

root at colossus:/mnt # zpool status
   pool: storage
  state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
     continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
   scan: resilver in progress since Mon Apr 29 20:22:03 2019
     6.54T scanned at 0/s, 6.54T issued at 0/s, 28.8T total
     445G resilvered, 22.66% done, no estimated completion time
config:

     NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
     storage     ONLINE       0     0     5
       raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0    20
         mfid11  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid10  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid8   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid7   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid0   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid5   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid4   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid3   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid2   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid14  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid15  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid6   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid9   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid13  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid1   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: 4 data errors, use '-v' for a list
[...]

root at colossus:/mnt # zpool status -v
[...]

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

         <metadata>:<0x3e>
         <metadata>:<0x5d>
         storage:<0x0>
         storage at now:<0x0>
root at colossus:/mnt # zpool status -v
   pool: storage
  state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
     continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
   scan: resilver in progress since Mon Apr 29 20:22:03 2019
     6.54T scanned at 0/s, 6.54T issued at 0/s, 28.8T total
     445G resilvered, 22.66% done, no estimated completion time
config:

     NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
     storage     ONLINE       0     0     7
       raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0    28
[...]

     storage     ONLINE       0     0    11
       raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0    44
         mfid11  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid10  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid8   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid7   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid0   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid5   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid4   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid3   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid2   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid14  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid15  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid6   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid9   ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid13  ONLINE       0     0     0
         mfid1   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

         <metadata>:<0x3e>
         <metadata>:<0x5d>
         storage:<0x0>
         storage at now:<0x0>