more fun, upgrading from 10.3-STABLE 10.4-RELENG to 11.2-RELENG - kernel panic

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sat Mar 2 09:46:38 UTC 2019

Lee Damon wrote on 2019/03/02 01:36:
> On 3/1/19 15:38 , Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> Did you tried to boot "safe mode"? (selectable in boot menu).
>
> I completely forgot about safe mode.
>
> Yep. It boots. I'm going to finish the freebsd-update process then
> reboot into safe mode again. I'm out of time to work on this today and
> am only in this lab on Fridays so I'll have to pick up working on this
> problem next Friday.

Glad to know something finally works :)

You can look in to /boot/menu-commands.4th there is definition what Safe
Mode disable

: safemode_enabled? ( -- flag )
         s" kern.smp.disabled" getenv -1 <> dup if
                 swap drop ( c-addr flag -- flag )
         then
;

: safemode_enable ( -- )
         s" set kern.smp.disabled=1" evaluate
         s" set hw.ata.ata_dma=0" evaluate
         s" set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0" evaluate
         s" set hw.ata.wc=0" evaluate
         s" set hw.eisa_slots=0" evaluate
         s" set kern.eventtimer.periodic=1" evaluate
         s" set kern.geom.part.check_integrity=0" evaluate
;

You can play with these items one by one to find what is the root cause
in your case.

Miroslav Lachman