ZFS - Problem removing files after changing the compression type

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Wed Jun 5 13:43:58 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-05 8:14 am, Mario Olofo wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'm configuring a new installation of FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE and
> installed
> with ZFS for the root file system.
> I run the command zfs set compression=lz4 root, and after this, the
> system
> become a little weird.
> I tried to test some npm install to see if the compression was working
> and
> it is, but when I try to run some commands (ie. ng serve), it fails
> with
> I/O error.
> Deleted the node_modules directory and when I tried to delete the .npm
> dir,
> the system returns "Directory not empty".
> When run as sudo rm  -rf, the result is "Unknown error: 122"
>
> I did something that I was not supposed to?
> In the btrfs one can change the compression on the fly without issues
> because of metadata, don't know if zfs behaves this way too.
>
> My system is a Dell G3, with a i5 8gen and an SSD on the m.2 slot
> running
> the FreeBSD (on UFS the notebook freezes and halt when I run npm
> install).
> Gentoo and Windows running on the same SSD and it's all good.
>
> Thank you,
> Best reggards,
>
> Mario

You should be able to change ZFS compression on the fly. Old data
already written is not changed, but new writes will use the new
compression setting. I have done this before, It looks like something
else is happening I don't think the issue is related to the ZFS
compression setting. I am not familiar with npm, so I have no idea whats
going on there. Look at your dmesg output and check logs to see if the
system logged any disk access errors also check status of zpool with
zpool status.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer