RELENG_10 to RELENG11 buildworld no possible ?

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 9 05:58:54 UTC 2019

On 8 Jul 2019, at 17:38, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 7:21 AM Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:
>> On 7/8/2019 3:09 AM, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>>> I just completed a successful build of RELENG_11_2 on a
>>> RELENG_10_4 system …
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Patrick
>>
>> I am guessing all is good up until
>>

>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-stable-11/2019-April/009220.html
>>
>> If I svn update -r346291(commit before the import of the new clang) all
>> builds fine.
>>
>> Not sure if its worth a note in UPDATING, or mentioning it here in the
>> google archives will be good enough for anyone else who runs into it.
>>

> I think it is worth a note. I'll add one.
>
> We should also followup with dim@ to see why static_assert from RELENG_10
> is incompatible with the new compiler, and why it's used in a way that
> would break.

I took a quick look, but I don't think there is any quick solution.  For
some reason, clang 3.4.1 (which shipped with 10.4) cannot handle the
static_asserts which are inside the piece of code in question.  Also,
there are several other compilation errors, due to it being unable or
unwilling to cast pointers.

Upstream LLVM has recently bumped the requirements for building quite
aggressively, it could very well be that a higher version of clang or
gcc is now required to build 8.0, precisely because of the above.  At
some point they apparently wanted to drop the workarounds for old
compilers.

-Dimitry