zfs on hardware raid array

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 19 20:09:43 UTC 2019

> On Jan 19, 2019, at 2:31 PM, Brian Bilbrey <bilbreycomm at orbdesigns.com> wrote:
>
> (Bcc’d to the OP)
>
> You *could* do what I’ve done in the past - make each disk into a single disk volume presented by the array, then use the presented volumes to make your mirrors, z2s, etc… I’m not running that anymore, but it was fine and reliable for years. A failed disk could be replaced in the array, then re-presented to the OS for rebuild. I actually kept a presented volume back to use as a warm spare in those circumstances.
>
> A reasonably inexpensive alternative is to replace the controller with one that permits JBOD.

[ BCC'd to the poster above ]

We have some Oracle X5 servers that are also unable to configure the SAS disks as JBOD.  We do the same thing, each disk is a separate volume, and we just use ZFS mirrors on the individual volumes.

We thought it strange that Oracle would spec hardware (I think it's an LSI controller) that didn't allow JBOD when they themselves recommend not using hardware RAID for ZFS, and also don't support booting from anything other than ZFS (starting with Solaris 11).

--
DE