Binary update to -STABLE? And if so, what do I get?

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed Feb 13 13:41:44 UTC 2019

I know (and have done) binary updates between -RELEASE versions

But 12 has a problem with -RELEASE and IPv6, which was recently fixed
and MFC'd.  So now I have an interesting situation in that I have two
machines in the field running 11.2 that do things for me at one of the
"shared colo" joints, and I would like to roll them forward -- but they
have to roll forward to a reasonably-recent -STABLE.

How do I do this, say, coming from 11.2 and wanting to target 12 post
the IPv6 fix MFC?  (e.g. how do I specify the target, since it wouldn't
be "12-RELEASE"?)  I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that "12-STABLE"
is not the correct means to do so.

Or is it, since at first blush it doesn't blow up if I use that... but
I'm hesitant to say "yeah, go at it."

# freebsd-update -r 12-STABLE upgrade
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.2-RELEASE from update2.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic world/base world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
kernel/generic-dbg world/base-dbg world/doc world/lib32-dbg

Does this look reasonable (y/n)?

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>