11.2-STABLE kernel wired memory leak

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Tue Feb 12 17:57:43 UTC 2019

In article <d8c7abc0-3ba1-40e4-22b1-1b30d28ced14 at grosbein.net>
eugen at grosbein.net writes:

>Long story short: 11.2-STABLE/amd64 r335757 leaked over 4600MB kernel
>wired memory over 81 days uptime
>out of 8GB total RAM.

Not a whole lot of evidence yet, but anecdotally I'm seeing the same
thing on some huge-memory NFS servers running releng/11.2.  They seem
to run fine for a few weeks, then mysteriously start swapping
continuously, a few hundred pages a second.  The continues for hours
at a time, and then stops just as mysteriously.  Over time the total
memory dedicated to ZFS ARC goes down but there's no decrease in wired
memory.  I've tried disabling swap, but this seems to make the server
unstable.  I have yet to find any obvious commonality (aside from the
fact that these are all large-memory NFS servers which don't do much
of anything else -- the only software running on them is related to
managing and monitoring the NFS service).

-GAWollman