Fwd: Serious ZFS Bootcode Problem (GPT NON-UEFI)

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sun Feb 10 18:06:58 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-02-10 at 11:37 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
> On 2/10/2019 09:28, Allan Jude wrote:
> > Are you sure it is non-UEFI? As the instructions you followed,
> > overwriting da0p1 with gptzfsboot, will make quite a mess if that
> > happens to be the EFI system partition, rather than the freebsd-
> > boot
> > partition.
>
> [...]
>
> BTW am I correct that gptzfsboot did *not* get the ability to read
> geli-encrypted pools in 12.0?  The UEFI loader does know how (which I'm
> using on my laptop) but I was under the impression that for non-UEFI
> systems you still needed the unencrypted boot partition from which to
> load the kernel.

Nope, that's not correct. GELI support was added to the boot and loader
programs for both ufs and zfs in freebsd 12. You must set the geli '-g'
option to be prompted for the passphrase while booting (this is
separate from the '-b' flag that enables mounting the encrypted
partition as the rootfs). You can use "geli configure -g" to turn on
the flag on any existing geli partition.

-- Ian