Fwd: Serious ZFS Bootcode Problem (GPT NON-UEFI)

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Sun Feb 10 17:54:53 UTC 2019

On 2/10/2019 11:50, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-02-10 at 11:37 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
>> On 2/10/2019 09:28, Allan Jude wrote:
>>> Are you sure it is non-UEFI? As the instructions you followed,
>>> overwriting da0p1 with gptzfsboot, will make quite a mess if that
>>> happens to be the EFI system partition, rather than the freebsd-
>>> boot
>>> partition.
>> [...]
>>
>> BTW am I correct that gptzfsboot did *not* get the ability to read
>> geli-encrypted pools in 12.0?  The UEFI loader does know how (which I'm
>> using on my laptop) but I was under the impression that for non-UEFI
>> systems you still needed the unencrypted boot partition from which to
>> load the kernel.
>>
> Nope, that's not correct. GELI support was added to the boot and loader
> programs for both ufs and zfs in freebsd 12. You must set the geli '-g'
> option to be prompted for the passphrase while booting (this is
> separate from the '-b' flag that enables mounting the encrypted
> partition as the rootfs). You can use "geli configure -g" to turn on
> the flag on any existing geli partition.
>
> -- Ian

Excellent - this will eliminate the need for me to run down the
foot-shooting that occurred in my update script since the unencrypted
kernel partition is no longer needed at all.  That also significantly
reduces the attack surface on such a machine (although you could still
tamper with the contents of freebsd-boot of course.)

The "-g" flag I knew about from experience in putting 12 on my X1 Carbon
(which works really well incidentally; the only issue I'm aware of is
that there's no 5Ghz WiFi support.)

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>