high cpu irq load and slow boot after update from 10.4 to 11.2

Gerrit Kühn gerrit.kuehn at aei.mpg.de
Thu Nov 29 06:48:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 15:37:02 +0100 Gerrit Kühn <gerrit.kuehn at aei.mpg.de>
wrote about Re: high cpu irq load and slow boot after update from 10.4 to
11.2:

> > Try switching to "HPET" in both cases and do not wait for next disaster
> > but do it right now with sysctl command, reboot is not needed.
> > You can restore default settings any moment same way.
> >
> > And see if the problem goes away.

> Ok, I did that, let's see what happens next (I guess I cannot declare
> victory until it's running stable for more than 4 weeks from now on).
> Thanks again!

The issue is back this morning: sys and irq load incredibly high, system
hardly usable anymore.
I guess it's time to try kern.eventtimer.periodic=1 now... should I do
that in addition to the timecounter setting to hpet, or revert that
one first?

cu
  Gerrit