Where is my memory on 'fresh' 11-STABLE? It should be used by ARC, but it is not used for it anymore.

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 21 14:03:28 UTC 2018

Hello Eugene,

>>  And here top consumers. I don't like that most of te memory is in FREE
>> abd_chunks - 8GB!
>>
>> USED (b) FREE (b) NAME
>> 531902464 8392536064 abd_chunk
> This may be a leak. Can you monitor this value for longer run?
 No problem.

 But I don't think it is "true" leak, when memory is NEVER
freed, as uptime of this box is 11 days already, and sometimes ARC is much
larger than 2GiB. For example, now it is inflated to 8GiB.

 Ok, and now it is:

USED (b) FREE (b) NAME
35445924 3639276 S VFS Cache
37336376 1067704 arc_buf_hdr_t_l2only
47760912 2670336 sa_cache
51531120 55440 VM OBJECT
55574528 30408704 zio_data_buf_1048576
56183040 21365760 256
61734912 50331648 zio_buf_131072
70467584 2375680 mbuf_cluster
72028160 3895296 mbuf_jumbo_page
87561672 4856808 zfs_znode_cache
110448640 32768 4096
124137120 158133600 dmu_buf_impl_t
150976512 7188480 mbuf_jumbo_9k
156588360 8539896 VNODE
208290960 1040 UMA Slabs
247484416 280662016 zio_buf_512
275775488 96993280 zio_data_buf_524288
361406864 314169856 dnode_t
417366016 1015808 zio_buf_16384
7307493376 2383060992 abd_chunk

 It is more likely that there is a bug in "priority" for memory
distribution: abd FREE memory has higher priority than ARC somehow.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at FreeBSD.org