TouchPad Synaptic on ThinkPad x280

Jacques Foucry jacques+FreeBSD at foucry.net
Wed Nov 21 11:11:02 UTC 2018

Hello,

After my little presentation, it's time for me to ask you some question.

1/ I run FreeBSD 11.2-Release P4 on a ThinkPd lenovo X280

# uname -rms
FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p4 amd64

2/ The touchpad run well with synaptic driver

# dmesg | grep -i touchpad
psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0

The only thing very annoying is that I can't find the right way to
disable the touchpad since I use the keyboard.

Here is my 70-synaptic.conf file

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
# This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
# enabled by default. See the following link for details:
# http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-ignore-configuration-errors.html
#       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad ignore duplicates"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchOS "Linux"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/mouse*"
        Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection
#Section "InputClass"
#       Identifier "touchpad"
#       Driver "Synaptics"
#               Option "PalmDetect" "1"
#EndSection

# This option enables the bottom right corner to be a right button on clickpads
# and the right and middle top areas to be right / middle buttons on clickpads
# with a top button area.
# This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
        MatchDriver "synaptics"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
        Option "SecondarySoftButtonAreas" "58% 0 0 15% 42% 58% 0 15%"
EndSection

# This option disables software buttons on Apple touchpads.
# This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Disable clickpad buttons on Apple touchpads"
        MatchProduct "Apple|bcm5974"
        MatchDriver "synaptics"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas" "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "auto"
        Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Is it a no-feature on synaptic driver?

Disclamer: I posted on both stable and hardware ml, because I not sure
where the problem is. May be between the keyboard and the chair.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Jacques