Upgrade from 10.4 stable to 11.0 releng fails

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Mon Nov 12 18:57:06 UTC 2018

13.11.2018 1:36, Sven Vermeulen wrote:

> I am busy trying to upgrade FreeBSD from 10.4 stable to 11.0 releng with make world.
>
> I did the following steps:
>
> 1) svn update (for /base/releng/11.0)
> 2) make buildworld
> 3) make buildkernel (using a custom kernel config)
> 4) make installkernel (using a custom kernel config)
>
> installkernel gives some warnings with kldxref:
>
> kldxref /boot/kernel
> kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file aic.ko
> kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file atacard.ko
> kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file atp.ko
>
> I'm not sure if I can safely ignore these warnings.

Yes, you can. However, you better upgrade directly from 10.4 to 11.2 when using source upgrade path
to save the time and troubles.

> 5) reboot
>
> After the reboot the kernel seems to start fine but after that I get the following error:
>
> pid 22 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 12
> init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>
> When I run the command /bin/sh /etc/rc on the prompt I get the following error:
>
> pid 30 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 12
> Bad system call
>
> Any idea what is going wrong here?

signal 12 is SIGSYS meaning that your binaries use syscalls that kernel does not have,
so you either still run old 10.4 kernel with new binaries or you run new custom 11.0 kernel
built without options COMPAT_FREEBSD10 and old binaries.

There are many possible cases for this. For example, if you have degraded gmirror then
you might installed new kernel and binaries to one part of the mirror only (due to its degraded state)
but loader boots old kernel using another part of the mirror because it known nothing about gmirror
and uses BIOS service to read plain disk (make it boot from another part forcebly then).

Or some another glitch, verify installed data carefully.

If you run new custom 11.0 kernel built without options COMPAT_FREEBSD10 and old binaries,
then use loader to unload new kernel and load kernel.old before booting.