jail related inconsistencies in FreeBSD tools parameters

Chris H bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Fri Jun 22 21:46:02 UTC 2018

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 23:13:17 +0200 "Miroslav Lachman" <000.fbsd at quip.cz> said

> I don't know if it is better to discuss it in jail@ or stable@ list so a
> do cross-post.
>
> FreeBSD has many jail aware utilities but they are inconsistent in
> taking JID as parameter.
>
> For example "sockstat" takes -j JID "Show only sockets belonging to the
> specified jail ID" and it means numeric ID only.
> On the other hand "ps" takes -J JID "This may be either the jid or name
> of the jail.  Use -J 0 to display only host processes."
> The same apply for "top", it understands jid as a number or name of the
> jail too.
> Then again "cpuset" takes only numerical ID of the jail...
>
> Shouldn't it be consistent across all FreeBSD base utilities so all of
> them can use numerical ID and name?
Good idea! Are you offering to create a patch? ;-)
It'd be my guess that given they weren't all created at the same time, nor
the same individual; that (quite probably?) the "jail" additions were also
added at different times, and by different people. So I'd imagine that
unless someone with a commit bit decides one day they'd like to take that
on. Someone(tm) maybe you? will need to propose a patch. :-)

--Chris