Console is broken after updating to 11.2-RELEASE

Yasuhiro KIMURA yasu at utahime.org
Fri Jun 22 10:42:58 UTC 2018

From: Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu at utahime.org>
Subject: Console is broken after updating to 11.2-RELEASE
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 17:07:20 +0900 (JST)

> With the commit of r335510 releng/11.2 switched to -RELEASE. So I
> updated one of my home server from 11.1-RELEASE-p11 to 11.2-RELEASE.
>
> But when I rebooted I found OS boot messages are not displayed on
> console while OS itself has booted successfully. To be exact,
>
> 1. BIOS message are displayed.
> 2. Boot menu of FreeBSD is displayed.
> 3. Kernel boot starts but after 'Booting...' no following messages
>    are displayed.
> 4. After OS has booted console stays unusable.

I have another 11.1-RELEASE-p11 amd64 environment working as guest of
VirtualBox whose host is 64bit Windows 10. So I updated it to
11.2-RELEASE like my home server in question. But in this case console
worked fine just as it was 11.1-RELEASE-p11. So the problem seems to
be hardwear dependent.

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA