iostat busy value calculation

Holger Kipp Holger.Kipp at alogis.com
Thu Jun 21 09:32:43 UTC 2018

Dear Miroslav,

> Am 20.06.2018 um 19:35 schrieb Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz>:
>
> Holger Kipp wrote on 2018/06/20 17:37:
>> Dear Miroslav,
>> looking at the manpage for iostat I see:
>>            %b      % of time the device had one or more outstanding transactions
>>            tsvc_t/i
>>                    total duration of transactions per time period, in seconds
>>            sb/i    total time the device had one or more outstanding transac-
>>                    tions per time period, in seconds
>> So calculating the percentage using sb/i should be fairly easy.
>
> If I understand it correctly, then it cannot be calculated from numbers between two independent runs of "iostat -I -x" because it gives me sb/i average from the boot time, so the calculated %b will be overall average instead of average between two runs after 60 seconds.
> The only possible way to calculated is to run "iostat -I -x -c 2 -w 60" where the sb/i value of the second line will be average of these last 60 seconds. But it also means monitoring probe will wait 60 seconds to get this value (each time) so it is the same problem as I described in my original post with "iostat -x“

I haven’t thoroughly checked this myself (only a quick check), but with -I you should get the total values since boot. The man-page for OpenBSD states "The -I option causes iostat to print raw, unaveraged values.“

Eg. you have about 70.000 seconds where the devices ada0 and ada1 were busy, which equals 2%, so your system has an uptime of about 42 days.

Maybe you just check by getting values every 10 seconds, looking at sb/i and calculate the difference of two consecutive values, divide by the time period in seconds, multiply by 100 and have a percentage - with the downside of not being that accurate (as Warner Losh pointed out).

Best regards,
Holger