Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ?

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 29 00:11:51 UTC 2018

On 28 Jan, Pete French wrote:

> On 28/01/2018 20:28, Don Lewis wrote:
>> I'd be wary of the B350 boards with the higher TDP eight core Ryzen CPUs
>> since the VRMs on the cheaper boards tend to have less robust VRM
>> designs.
>
> Gah! Yes, I forgot that.originally sec'd the board for a smaller Ryzen,
> then though "what the hell" and got the 1700 without going back and
> checking that kind of stuff. Hmm, shall swap for a different one if I
> can. Thanks for poining that out.

I started off with a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming for my 1700X back when there
was enough ambiguity about ECC support to give me hope that it would
work.  Everything seemed to work other than ECC and the problems caused
by my buggy CPU and the shared page issue, but the VRM temps in the BIOS
were really high (and I had no way to monitor that under load).  When I
upgraded to get working ECC, I also looked at reviews about VRM quality.