Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ?

Mark Millard marklmi26-fbsd at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 14:22:14 UTC 2018

Mike Pumford michaelp at bsquare.com wrote on
Wed Jan 24 12:03:04 UTC 2018 :

> I've run into this on modern Intel systems as well. The RAM is sold as
> 2400 but thats actually an overclock profile. If I actually enabled it
> (despite both board and RAM being qualified for that) the system ends up
> locking up or crashing as soon as you stress it. Go back to the standard
> DDR profile advertised by the RAM and it is totally stable.

The reported fails are during idle time as I understand. Things are
working when the CPU's are kept busy from what I've read in the
various notes. The hang-ups are during idle times.

"the system ends up locking up or crashing as soon as you stress it"
does not sound like a matching context.

That a slower RAM speed might help idle behave correctly is interesting
given the Zen and Ryzen dependence on RAM speed for the speed of its
internal interconnect-fabric's operation.

I'll note that, if one goes through the referenced Linux exchanges about
this, Ryzen Threadripper's examples are also reported to have the problem.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( markmi at dsl-only.net is