Now that the meltdown-patches are in STABLE...

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 22:47:22 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 09:47:26PM +0100, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Am I right to assume they aren???t being backported to 11.1 and we have to wait for 11.2?
>

> Don???t get me wrong - I???d rather have a stable system when random reboots during the daily or weekly runs.
>
> But for my own planing, I???d really like to know what the way forward is going to look like.
>

> https://wiki.freebsd.org/SpeculativeExecutionVulnerabilities
>
> Isn???t too helpful in this matter.

I put the snapshot of the WIP of the merge to 11.1 at
https://kib.kiev.ua/kib/amd64_11.1_meltdown.1.patch

I only compiled this on the stable/11, not even booted.  I suspect that
it is not compilable on 11.1 because apparently the patch depends on some
features of assembler only added in clang 5.0.

If somebody does the runtime test of the patch, it would be useful.